| Home »
Categories » Committees & Task Forces » Professional Development » 2017
Professional Development Committee 1/30/17 Minutes
Article Number: 1101 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM
Professional Development Committee
Minutes from January 30, 2017 at Bergenfield Public Library 1:30pm
Survey to directors:
- A survey will be used to solicit feedback from directors including professional competencies.
- A survey will be created using google docs, members of the committee will add to it and intial their additions.
- The survey will be completed by 2/10 and sent out by 2/13 to email@example.com.
- Staff that completes and sends the survey back in two weeks will be entered into a raffle to win a gift card (3 gift cards at $10?)
Supervisory Training Program:
- The committee discussed whether the budget should go toward supervisory training on an annual basis or whether it should be every other year with other professional training in between. It was noted that the committee budget was originally earmarked for this program in particular.
- LibraryLinkNJ’s Super Library Supervisor Workshop Series is 4 sessions and could be a supplement as opposed to competition. If possible, alternate the BCCLS program with LibraryLinkNJ’s to allow room for other professional development.
- Becky and Chelsea gave feedback on the BCCLS program. They found networking and group discussion as the most beneficial. The Edmodo platform was not helpful.
- According to a survey, most directors did not take issue with the program schedule.
Other professional development training:
- Laura suggested using Madison Consulting workshops for professional expertise.
- Lina is concerned about focusing too much on supervisors and would like to see training for all levels, including many webinars for those who cannot attend off-site seminars.
- Morgan suggested we tap other committees for expertise to avoid stepping on their toes. The committee will reach out to potential partners, including Youth Services, Adult Programming, eBCCLS, Collection Development and Reference, and Tech.
- Chelsea suggested using any possible librarian expertise as a more economical way to offer more.
- Hosting a series of 101 classes was discussed.
- BCCLS archives all webinars and education materials, which could be reused if content is needed.
- Morgan suggested having a mentoring program, but most agreed that it is up to libraries to mentor their staff and that it is difficult to get volunteers for this type of project.
- Laura suggests it would be better to host one full day of education, e.g. a youth services day with a puppeteering program, a storytime program, etc.
- Allison or Laura will be contacting Darragh to ask about professional development speakers he has used in the past for possible future uses by the committee.
- New Professionals Breakfast will take place in May and the committee will need to pick out directors to speak at the event, the date, and find a hosting library.
- Offsite Mixer open to all- to take place in the fall, price fixed menu and cash bar. We will need to find a venue.
- February 28 at 9:30am Washington Township Library (Will be skyping in Lina Podles)
- March 30 at 2pm Wyckoff Library
Irene Langlois was the only member absent.
Meeting adjourned at 2:30.
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.