Home » Categories » Committees & Task Forces » Collection Development & Reference » 2017

Collection Development and Reference Committee Minutes February 2017

Minutes

Collection Development and Reference Committee

Closter Public Library

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 10 AM

 

In attendance: Julia Nock (Co-chair - Closter), Latricia Markle (Co-chair - Tenafly), Cathy Folk-Pushee (Hackensack), Matthew Mitchel (Paramus), Bill Fischer (Bergenfield), Dawn Petretti-Silvera (Glen Ridge), Margaret Rose O’Keefe (BCCLS), Danielle Cesena (Glen Rock), Catherine LaBelle (West Orange), Molly McKenney (Upper Saddle River), Julie Whitehead (Dumont), Laurie Meeske (BCCLS), Yumi Choi (BCCLS)

 

Absent: Amy Aynedjian (Englewood), Ina Rimpau (Maplewood)

Volunteer Recorder: Cathy Folk-Pushee

 

Minutes from the December meeting were tabled to be approved at the March meeting.

 

The schedule for upcoming meetings is as follows:

March 14th- Closter @ 10am

April 11

May 16

June 13?

Skip July (or virtual meeting?)

August 8

September 6

October 3

November 7

December 12

 

News:

    1. On March 7 at 10 am and 1:30 pm our cHQ representative will be at Wyckoff PL to talk about new features.

    2. Latricia mentioned that on 2/13/17 Baker & Taylor published an article on cHQ which is now a part of B&T.

    3. Some libraries are now circulating their Reference Collections.

 

Ongoing Business:

    1. Please submit weeding and cHQ tips to Margaret one week before the end of the month prior to the one for which you are scheduled. So if you signed up for April your tip is due during the last week of March. There was some discussion about folding cHQ into the weeding tips to cut down on emails from CD&R and calling it Collection Development tips. No definitive conclusion was reached so they will continue to be separate for now.

    2. Laurie spoke about the process for updating the Librarian Approved sites (formerly known as Web Subject Guides). Go to the bccls.org site. Copy and paste the guides you would like to edit onto google drive. Anything you add should be in green, anything you change should be in purple, and anything to be removed should be in red. Send an email to support@bccls.org if you find any broken links. The committee decided that the title of these guides should be changed to Librarian Approved Sites A to Z.

    3. The Read, Watch, Listen guide (formerly known as Books and Reading) now links to BCCLS Discover. Molly M checked all the links for last year. Whoever takes this guide for 2017 has to check all the links in Librarian Approved as well as those in BCCLS Discover.

    4. Database Submission Flowchart-The committee has asked Margaret and Yumi to update it and bring it to the next meeting for approval.

    5. cHQ mentoring visits-Danielle noted that the email we send to libraries who wanted in-person visits should have finite choices. Laurie suggested putting together a google form. Latricia will talk to Melissa Singlevich about the status of the last email the committee was pulling together and which CD&R members were willing to mentor and on what segments of cHQ.

 

New Business:

    • Review the charges for 2017-Margaret suggested adding a workshop on how to create a collection development policy with speakers who are experts on specific formats and collections in other languages. Latricia has a very detailed policy for Tenafly’s Children’s Room.

    • There is a BCCLS conference in the fall with committees presenting programs, venders, etc. The date and our topic are TBD.

    • Our spring program will be a major topic for the next meeting.

      1. One possible topic is Reinventing Reference. Laurie suggested possibly formatting the program as an unconference with the following format: introduction, collect ideas for breakout sessions from participants, list them, people vote, the top three or four become sessions, participants choose which one they would like to sit in on, everyone splits up to discuss, a representative from each group presents the main points from their discussion.

      2. We could also format it as a hybrid with preselected topics for participants to vote on then choose which they would like to sit in on.

      3. Latricia suggested including a sub-topic on whatever program we choose on Donations Aren’t Free!

      4. Margaret suggested Collection Development on a Small Budget (Laurie added Something Isn’t Always Better than Nothing). This would address the quality vs quantity issue that has been spotted in the catalog. Our catalog had over 60,000 bib records added last year, way more than other consortia our size.

    • Yumi mentioned that BCCLS catalogers would now like to treat travel guides as monographs so the publication year is very clear to patrons for each specific issue. It also allows for more description. The new system also applies to similar items such as test prep books and manga. The committee unanimously approved this change.

    • Magazines may now be linked individually to a record instead of a placeholder with the title and Current-x year. It was pointed out that this could make for a very long record, but it is OPTIONAL for libraries to do this. They may choose to do it if they would like to send out their magazines on loan. Margaret will send out a clarifying email to member libraries.

Meeting adjourned at 12:11.

Next meeting:  Tuesday, March 14, 10 am at Closter Library.

 

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
Collection Development and Reference Committee Agenda April 2017
Viewed 178 times since Wed, Apr 26, 2017
Collection Development and Reference Committee Agenda February 2017
Viewed 153 times since Thu, Feb 23, 2017
Collection Development and Reference Committee Agenda March 21 2017
Viewed 107 times since Thu, Mar 23, 2017
Collection Development & Reference Committee 2017: Assignments & Charges
Viewed 343 times since Tue, Jan 10, 2017
Collection Development and Reference Committee Minutes March 2017
Viewed 191 times since Wed, Apr 26, 2017
Collection Development and Reference Committee Minutes April 2017
Viewed 82 times since Mon, May 15, 2017