Home » Categories » Committees & Task Forces » Delivery » 2018-19

04.10.18 DTF Minutes

BCCLS Delivery Task Force Meeting

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 9:30am

Glen Rock Public Library, 315 Rock Road, Glen Rock, NJ 07452

 

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 9:35am by Stephanie Bellucci, Chair.

 

Attendance:

Present - Stephanie Bellucci, Chair/Cliffside Park; Ellen O'Keefe, Glen Rock; Gretchen Kaser, Ho-Ho-Kus; Kurt Hadeler, BCCLS President/Mahwah; Gerry McMahon, Franklin Lakes; Peter Coyl, Montclair; Terrie McColl, New Milford; Eric Lozauskas, BCCLS; Judah Hamer, Rutherford; Cindy Czesak, BCCLS

Absent - Sarah Lester, Maplewood

 

  1. Approval of Minutes from March 8

Motion made by Ellen, seconded by Terrie. Approved unanimously.

 

II.  NJLS

  1. On Friday, April 6, Eric received correspondence from NJLS that they are withdrawing from their contract with 21 days notice. This puts their last day at April 27. Eric has this in writing. NJLS did not feel they could handle the delivery volume. To date, the service has cost just under $15,000 for the three weeks of service. Total payments should be just over $31,000.

  2. Discussion ensued as to whether BCCLS should sign a new contract with NJLS to take us through the transition back to T-Force (at a higher cost), or go back to using only Expak after April 27.

    1. DTF recommends moving forward with only the LibraryLinkNJ-provided vendor after April 27. Cindy has confirmed that there will be no lapse in service between when Expak's contract ends in late May and when T-Force's begins. So, BCCLS will use Expak through May 29 and T-Force immediately thereafter.

    2. LLNJ has indicated to Cindy that the T-Force contract has not yet been finalized, so we do not know whether it will include 5-day delivery and at what cost. Historically, BCCLS has paid for all member libraries to receive 5-day delivery ($16,000 in the past, but subject to change with the new contract).

 

III. Next Steps

  1. Eric states about ten BCCLS libraries are still sending back their floating collections through Expak. The final three weeks of NJLS should resolve this. It is unknown whether there is currently a backlog in Expak's Rockaway warehouse, but we know NJLS does not have one.

  2. Peter asked about developing more uniformity in how BCCLS libraries pack materials by relying solely on the blue bins as opposed to cardboard boxes. The disparity in size could make things more difficult for packing the delivery trucks. The group agreed this may be worth looking into for the future, but no changes will be made until the transition back to Expak is complete. The importance of tracking metrics (packages vs. items) was also discussed. Going forward, it is imperative to track by packages. NJLS says they handled more packages than they were initially led to believe, and this could be caused in part by disparities in the metrics.

  3. Peter pointed out that delivery is a key function of BCCLS, which is based on resource-sharing. The group agreed. There is some confusion in BCCLS concerning how delivery is funded, and how it should be funded. This is something to bring up in small group meetings.

  4. Terrie suggested splitting loans from returns in delivery. For example, BCCLS would handle loan delivery in-house, while T-Force would handle returns. The logic is that returns are not as time-sensitive as incoming loans. Kurt reminded the group that during T-Force's previous contract, delivery times often reached 7-10 days.

    1. This is costly for the time being but could be considered in the future.

    2. Gerry pointed out that T-Force's new contract will only be through December 2018; we don't know how LLNJ will handle delivery in 2019 and beyond.

  5. DTF will host six small group meetings in early May to discuss the future of delivery. Eventually, the task force would like to see meetings with LLNJ and possibly the State Librarian as well. Content for the small group meetings will be ironed out at the next DTF meeting.

  6. Kurt will make a statement to BCCLS directors concerning NJLS opting out of their contract. He has already advised Executive Board. Eric will speak with Bob from NJLS concerning the logistics of the transition back to Expak. Cindy will communicate our decision to go back to Expak to Kathy at LLNJ.



Adjournment: 11:02am.



Next Meeting: Thursday, April 12 - 10am (Glen Rock)

 

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
04.12.18 DTF Minutes
Viewed 211 times since Fri, Apr 13, 2018
04.12.18 DTF Agenda
Viewed 160 times since Wed, Apr 11, 2018
04.30.18 DTF Minutes
Viewed 112 times since Wed, May 2, 2018
Delivery Task Force 2018-19 Assignments & Charges
Viewed 209 times since Fri, Apr 27, 2018
03.09.18 DTF Minutes (DRAFT)
Viewed 248 times since Mon, Mar 12, 2018
DTF - Agenda - 07_18_18
Viewed 54 times since Mon, Jul 16, 2018
02.08.18 DTF Agenda
Viewed 193 times since Mon, Feb 12, 2018
DTF Minutes 6.19.18 DRAFT
Viewed 78 times since Wed, Jun 20, 2018
03.09.18 DTF Agenda
Viewed 182 times since Tue, Mar 6, 2018
02.15.18 DTF Minutes
Viewed 260 times since Mon, Feb 19, 2018