Home » Categories » Committees & Task Forces » Diverse & Underserved Populations (DUP) » 2018-19

07.19.18 - DUP Minutes (DRAFT)

Diverse and Underserved Populations Committee Minutes

BCCLS Office (Hackensack)

Thursday, July 19, 2018

10:00 – 12:00

 

In Attendance:

Lisa Hoffman, Chair – Bloomfield

Deborah Leary – Closter

Kristin Nelson – Fairview

Sara Rimassa – Fort Lee

Melissa Singlevich – Hasbrouck Heights

Victoria Hilditch – Ridgewood

Yumi Choi – BCCLS

 

Lisa Hoffman called the meeting to order at 10:10. Lisa moved to approve the June 14th minutes and Deborah seconded the motion. 

 

Ongoing Business

Sara Rimassa commented that she had received a very positive response to her All Email regarding Diversity in Collection Development: Our Muslim Communities.  Lisa Hoffman will confirm with Michelle Ferreira (Hackensack) that she is still a member of our committee.  She is a member of another committee, and may not be able to continue with both.  If she cannot, Sara and Kristen Nelson will take care of the August Monthly Tip dealing regarding Mental Illness.  Lisa spoke of the topic of depression in juvenile literature.  She has information that she will send out.  The August tip will deal only with mental illness and not include substance abuse as previously discussed.

 

Book Donations

Sara presented information regarding a book donation to Northern State Prison in Newark.  Sara is approved and has delivered donations in the past.  Victoria Hilditch has offered to accompany her.  Sara spoke with her contact at the prison, Gail, who expressed how much the men love getting new books and that the prison will take books on a wide range of topics.  Northern State is an all-male prison in Newark, NJ.  Books with obvious violent or depressing covers should not be included in the donations.  Advanced Readers Copies (ARCs) are very popular as they are new titles to be published.  Books at all reading levels are welcomed as are children’s books; the inmates will read to their children when they visit.  For the initial collection, we will only have DUP committee member’s libraries donate.  Each may donate one book box (approximately 20 books).  Yumi Choi and Sara spoke of how to create an EXCEL spreadsheet for the number and types of books donated.  It was suggested information should include: title, author, ISBN, and subject.  Every library will have its own page for their input.  The plan is for the donations to be brought to the September meeting. Sara will speak with Gail about when she would like the delivery before we begin the collection.

 

 

 

 

Homeless Guide

Lisa presented the 2 Homeless Resource Guides compiled by Sherri Kendrick (Cliffside Park).  Everyone agreed it is a very thorough guide, but we would like to create a document that is more reader friendly, organized and condensed.  The new guide should include – organization’s name, website, phone and address.  It was agreed to table this item until the next meeting.

Victoria spoke of the Bergen County Key Service Guide for Older Adults and Caregivers resource guide.  She will forward the document to committee members.  Lisa encouraged committee members to share and resources.  Adult and children shelters should also be added to this list.  The goal is to have this document as a handout at the November event.

 

Ryan Dowd/Homeless Librarian

Sara attended his presentation at NJLA.  Lisa used his video training for her colleagues.  He does give good tips and perspective.  The idea was raised that we try to find a local person that will be relevant to BCCLS libraries. 

 

November Event

Melissa is in contact with Loren Klein and what his stipend might be.  Loren will speak for approximately 30 minutes.  Topics for Loren, who is transgender, are LGBTQ and homelessness.  A high number of LGBTQ persons are homeless, and the overall plight of this particular group of people.  How this relates to libraries, and how we can service these individuals is relevant.  The second speaker could be about homeless shelters.  Sara has a contact, and will reach out to her.

 

Lisa promoted The Art of Gathering/Priya Parker as a wonderful book about how to organize events.  She believes the information is valuable for organizing our event.  Hasbrouck Heights Library is hosting, and it was discussed of how we can best use the layout for a positive flow for interaction between participants and for our planned skit.  The skit was discussed; it will begin with a “homeless” person being a part of our meeting.  The skit will be at the beginning of the event and show how the encounter is improperly handled.  The audience is then asked if they can come up with any ideas or strategies of how the encounter could have been handled differently.  Throughout the event, attendees will be encouraged to discuss encounters and homeless population issues.  The skit will repeat at the end of the session with a more positive interaction. There will be a food drive at the event.  It has to be decided where in the library the items will be collected.

 

Yumi noted that $500 should be enough to cover the event, including $100 for food.  Melissa will inquire with Mimi about food.  Lisa will make a flyer for a “Save the Date” for our program.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 16 at 10 a.m. at the BCCLS office.  Sara will ask her

Director about hosting the September meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:45.

 

 

 

 

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
05.23.18 - DUP Minutes
Viewed 297 times since Mon, Jun 18, 2018
11.29.18 - DUP Agenda
Viewed 164 times since Wed, Dec 5, 2018
09.13.18 - DUP Agenda
Viewed 203 times since Fri, Sep 14, 2018
09.13.18 - DUP Minutes (DRAFT)
Viewed 269 times since Fri, Sep 14, 2018
06.14.18 - DUP Agenda
Viewed 398 times since Thu, Jun 7, 2018
10.19.18 - DUP Minutes
Viewed 181 times since Wed, Dec 5, 2018
07.19.18 - DUP Agenda
Viewed 286 times since Thu, Jul 12, 2018
08.16.18 - DUP Agenda
Viewed 337 times since Fri, Aug 10, 2018
08.16.18 - DUP Minutes
Viewed 265 times since Fri, Sep 14, 2018
06.14.18 - DUP Minutes (DRAFT)
Viewed 313 times since Tue, Jun 19, 2018