Home » Categories » Committees & Task Forces » -Past Committees & Task Forces » Advocacy » 2018-19

08.21.18 Friends Group Minutes

Minutes for 8/21/18 Meeting of BCCLS Friends Group

Glen Rock Public Library

 Attendees: Georgene Betterbed, Lynn Kloss, Jennifer May, Laurie Meeske, Ellen O'Keefe, Robin Rockman, Jeanne Sylvester, Darlene Swistock

 Friends Breakfast

  • Vases: We'll need 39 vases: 35 for the tables and 4 for raffles. We also need a larger vase for the head table. Laurie will investigate her stash.
  • Table numbers: The maximum is 35 tables, with 12 people per table. Total: 420.
  • Harlan Coben: Georgene has researched a presentation gift of lucite with a BCCLS library card embedded. A five-week lead time is needed. The price is about $110. The vendor asked for the completed card, which he will enlarge to fit into the lucite. Georgene will ask if he'd prefer the full size, since there was concern about print quality from an enlarged file. The card inscription will read: “Harlan Coben, Library Champion, 2018 Friends Breakfast.” Darlene will ask O'Shea Printing if they still have the original file and if they can design the inscription.
    Georgene will also see if a few of Coben's autographed books might be raffled.
  • Door Prizes: These will include three vases and three other door prizes and will be raffled throughout the morning.
  • 2019 Speaker: Georgene has been in touch with Alan Alda's agency, which doesn't seem especially interested in his appearing at next year's Breakfast. She also spoke with the owner of Books, Bites, and Beyond, who suggested Henry Winkler and Julianne Moore. Both have spoken at the store and were well received.
  • Friends Consortium?: BCCLS has not been in favor of establishing a consortium, fearing that funds would be diverted from local Friends groups. However, a consortium could apply for a 501(c)3 number that could save money and perhaps underwrite transportation for speakers and other items that are outside the budget. (See Next Meeting To-Dos below for more on this suggestion.)
  • 2019 Ad Journal: This could provide funds for the consortium. The committee would have to begin selling ads in January. Perhaps charge $500 for a full-page ad, $250 for a half page, and $100 for a quarter page.
  • Seasons Menu: Carly sent a menu, including several gluten-free and vegan choices. Ellen confirmed that the additional items would be included in the original price.
  • Registrations: 4 tables have been confirmed and more are in the works.
  • Program: Same paper size as last year. Cover: headline and graphic; page 2: Program of Events (Introductions, Scholarships, Speaker, Committee, VIPs, thank yous); page 3: Coben bio and photo, Silent Auction; page 4: explanation of scholarship, 2018 winners, earlier winners in alpha order without years.
    Ellen will ask Emiliana to create a template and to choose a format for photos.
    Libraries with high-quality printers will do some or all of the program printing. The committee will buy paper. Alternatively, Georgene will ask a local printer to donate the printing in exchange for a thank-you in the program.
  • Baskets: 18 committed so far. The Scholarship Committee will donate a basket.
    Darlene is talking to John about notifying past winners and urging them to attend.
  • Weeks Preceding the Breakfast
    Finish assembling centerpieces.
    Bookmark?: No events currently scheduled, but could promote a Trustee event TBA.
  • Day Before the Breakfast
    Centerpieces will be freshened up and basket tables arranged at The Seasons.
  • Day of Breakfast: Ellen will ask Donna if she will again collect money. Georgene will assist her.

 Next Meeting To-Dos

  • Create Itinerary with Times. Build in a few times for basket review and bidding between speakers. Add closing time for bidding, with 15-minute warning.
  • Future Program Ideas: Perhaps a session on ramifications of the new tax code on 501(c)3 organizations.
  • Mission Statement: To apply for 501(c)3 status, a mission statement must be created. Jeanne will begin work on this. Groups that have these will send them to Jeanne. The committee will then take the statement to the Executive Board for its approval, stressing the fund-raising advantages of being an officially recognized nonprofit.

 Friends Focus

  • Next issue to go out August 27. In addition to Friends local activities, the Breakfast and baskets will be highlighted.

 Next Meetings: Both at Glen Rock Public Library

  • Thursday, August 30 9:30am: Work session
  • Friday, September 7 9:30am: Meeting

 

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
09.21.18 Friends Group Minutes (DRAFT)
Viewed 133 times since Wed, Sep 26, 2018
Advocacy Committee 2018-19 Assignments & Charges
Viewed 683 times since Wed, Apr 25, 2018
07.31.18 Friends Group Minutes
Viewed 156 times since Wed, Sep 26, 2018
05.21.18 Advocacy Minutes
Viewed 132 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2018
09.25.18 Advocacy Agenda
Viewed 149 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2018
11.13.18 Friends Group Summary
Viewed 155 times since Tue, Nov 13, 2018
08.17.18 Advocacy Group Leader Agenda
Viewed 161 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2018
09.07.18 Friends Group Agenda
Viewed 153 times since Wed, Sep 26, 2018
06.21.18 Friends Group Minutes
Viewed 138 times since Wed, Sep 26, 2018
05.21.18 Advocacy Agenda
Viewed 142 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2018