| Home »
Categories » Training » Polaris » Polaris Training Manual » C: Linking
C 3: Creating an Item Record
Article Number: 184 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM
- Use the Bibliographic Record Find Tool to search for the bibliographic record for the item you wish to link.
- To search for a bibliographic record, enter your search terms in the For field.
While searching by ISBN is quick, easy, and accurate, be sure to exhaust all possible searches (including keyword) when searching for bibliographic records.
- Hit 'Enter' on your keyboard or the Search button to execute your search.
- Select the record you wish to examine. This will open the Bibliographic Record workform, which will display the bibliographic record in the MARC format.
- Verify that the bibliographic record matches the item in hand and click the Create Item Records icon to begin the linking process.
- The New Item Record Options workform opens.
- Verify that the title and author Item information section matches the item you wish to link. If it does not, click the Find button to access the Bibliographic Record Find Tool and execute another search.
- Enter or scan the barcode or barcodes (if linking multiple copies of the same item) in the Item barcode(s) field. If typing the barcode, be sure to hit 'Enter' after each barcode so that they appear in the lower box.
- Next, move to the Call number section.
As you can see, if the bibliographic record contains call number data, part of the call number is filled in for you. You can edit or replace this information as needed.
- Move to the Distribution section and click on the (None) field in the Template column.
- From the template drop-down menu that appears, select the appropriate template for the item you are linking.
- After a template has been selected, you'll see that multiple fields in the row have been populated.
- If you wish to make any changes to the populated fields, you may do so by clicking on the value you wish to change and selecting it from the menu.
Make sure the owner is the library, not the branch level.
- When selecting a template, the Use template values instead of these (if available) in the Call number area is checked. You must leave this box checked if you wish to use data from the template.
- Because you are using a template, you may leave the Price, Circ status, Renewal Limit, Display in PAC, Non-circulating, Loanable outside system, and Holdable fields in their default state.
- You can insert additional rows to the Distribution list, if linking multiple copies.
- To do so, click on the Insert Row icon which will allow you to apply a template to the next copy being linked.
- You can also change the number of items to the appropriate number of copies.
- Click on the (None) field in the Template column to select a template for this copy.
- If you insert a new row, select an appropriate template for each copy you are linking.
- If you wish to delete a row from the distribution list, highlight the appropriate row and click on the Delete row icon.
- The process is complete when the numbers in the Item total and Barcode total fields match and you have the expected number of fields in the distribution list.
- Once you have completed creating the distribution list, click 'OK.'
- Polaris will now generate a Bulk Created Item Records list from which you may access the individual copies to further review and/or modify. To do so, select the first item you wish to process.
- The Item Record workform will appear.
If linking a single item, the Bulk Created Item Records list would not appear and you would be brought directly to this workform.
- Review the various fields and make changes where appropriate. For example, you may want to change the Circulation status to Being Acquired by the Library if you are linking items that are on order.
Only the white fields are editable.
- Enter a price in the Price field if the cost of the item is significantly greater or lower than the default unit price of the material type.
- Next, move to the Call number section and enter data in the appropriate fields.
Prefix - The prefix of the call number (such as J or LP)
Class - The class number (641.5 or FIC)
Cutter - The cutter (WHITE (Fiction) or SMI (Non-fiction))
Suffix - The suffix (for additional call number information)
Vol - The volume number (use when linking multi-volume sets)
Copy - The copy number (rarely used, but indicates your library's copy number)
When entering volume data, be sure to do as delineated in Appendix F: Call Number Volume Field.
It is imperative that ALL volumes be entered consistently system wide. This ensures that call numbers are sorted correctly when displaying in both the find tool and the catalog. Additionally, in the future, the syntax used for entering volume data in the call number will impact how the system handles requests for individual volumes linked to a single bibliographic record.
- If you need to designate the number of pieces when linking an item, add a Free text block to the item record.
- In the Item Record workform, click on the Notes and Notices icon to change to the Notes and Notices view.
- Enter the number of pieces in the Free text block field.
- When you are satisfied with your changes, click the Save icon, or type CTRL+S on your keyboard, or select File, Save.
When you are ready to mark your items as Available, that is, when they are ready to be circulated, you must Check in each copy to change their Circulation status from In-Process to Available.
Please refer to the C5: Checking in Newly Linked Items section of the manual for instructions.
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
C11: Bulk Changing Item Records
Viewed 447 times since Wed, Aug 20, 2014
C12: Linking Periodicals
Viewed 439 times since Wed, Aug 20, 2014
C 7: Withdrawing an Item Record
Viewed 391 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C 1: Creating an Item Template
Viewed 851 times since Mon, Aug 18, 2014
C14: Transferring An Item Record
Viewed 361 times since Fri, Oct 17, 2014
C 6: Deleting an Item Record
Viewed 404 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C 9: Searching for an Item Record Set
Viewed 354 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C 8: Creating an Item Record Set
Viewed 772 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C13: Generating Spine and Pocket Labels
Viewed 791 times since Wed, Aug 20, 2014