Home » Categories » Committees & Task Forces » Adult Services (ASC) » 2018-19

ASC 12-03-18 Minutes

BCCLS Adult Services Committee Meeting

Monday, December 3, 2018 10:00 am, Ridgewood Public Library

Minutes

 

Present: Jessica Bielen-Livingston, Gina Gerard-Hawthorne, Katie Neylan-Livingston, Molly McKenney-Upper Saddle River, Margaret Rose O'Keefe-BCCLS, Dawn Petretti-Silvera-Glen Ridge, Melody Townley-BCCLS, Leann Lydon-Garfield, Cathy Folk-Pushee-Hackensack, Lorri Steinbacher-Chair, Ridgewood 

Absent: Mary Kirsch-Fair Lawn, Ethan Galvin-West Caldwell, Julia Nock-Closter, Janet Dunn-Westwood, Jonna Davis-Teaneck, Theresa Sarracino-Glen Rock, Julie Whitehead-Dumont, Jennifer Hendricks-Franklin Lakes

Meeting began 9:40 am.

Minutes from previous meeting were unanimously approved.

Feedback from Guerilla Branding workshop

Generally great.  Some negatives were that too many topics were covered, the print on the slide handouts was too small, the social media coverage was too general.

Someone suggested we have a half-day workshop cosponsored with the tech committee on social media marketing, maybe something like the program sparks workshop.

Overall, it proved we can charge for an event and people will come.

eMagazines-Discussion on which to cancel and which to add. We decided to add seven and take away four. We need to pick three more to remove, most likely from those that have the lowest circulation.

Know Your e-Sources tips

Janet and Lorri will do one on Consumer Reports for December. Livingston already has a tutorial on this topic along with others on their website.

Aside: Wirecutter is a NY Times online list of best electronics and other tech. It's free. We'd like to add it to A-Z sites.

Other tip topics are Exploring e-sources (January/February), Job & Career Accelerator and Computer Skills Center (March/April), Reference USA (May/June), and Ebsco.

Other discussion-which e-sources may be used by anyone versus only specific library cardholders. This part of the BCCLS site needs to be updated.

Collection Development Tips

Molly-duplicate holdings-Dec, Cathy-bad call numbers-Jan, Julie-weird statuses-Feb, Molly-bad bar codes (possibly)-Mar

Other news

Margaret is off the committee as of the end of 2018, but continue to CC her on Collection Development and e-sources tips because she will be editing and emailing them out. Melody will continue as our solo BCCLS representative.

Purchasing is now over for 2018 for e-content. BCCLS is looking to revamp the collection model to stay within budget, possibly a charge for this committee but it's on hold until System Council discusses it.

Lorri will be sending out a link to World Trade Press so the committee can check it out. Livingston has had the A-Z World Travel section since August and it seems pretty interesting.

Lorri will email the committee for other ideas regarding our participation on the Maker Funconference with the Tech Committee (January 25, 2019).

Margaret is working on adding Overdrive content into the catalog. Most is going in as it's received from OverDrive, about 10% needs editing. The import/editing process is done manually, since OverDrive isn't integrated with Polaris the way cloudLibrary was.

Reader's Advisory Workshop in March or April

Possible sections/topics

Jeopardy-style questions to introduce the topics

Keeping up with podcasts-there is a tech tip in the KB

Do a live word cloud on what RA means to participants to kick it off

Also include RA for media

How to deal with the person who comes in and says “I just want a good book.”

Remind attendees about e-content on BCCLS site

Lorri will hash out a rough agenda and the committee will work out the details at the next meeting.

Rental vs Standard DVDs (possible tip)

Librarians can't control what they receive from Midwest Tape. How can we avoid receiving the rental version? Gina will call to find out. We might share this info in a monthly tip.

Rentals are missing some features. Are we cataloging them both the same? It was separate, but created two holds lists for the same DVD title. Then the records were combined and patrons complained that they weren't getting the special features sometimes. Now the question is whether to go back to cataloging them separately. To avoid this, Polaris could be set up to allow the Volume field to be used to differentiate between versions that are cataloged together. This would only work if libraries began using the volume field consistently in these type of situations. Polaris could prompt the user placing a hold to specify which volume they prefer, and the call numbers displayed in the PAC would show which version each library has.

Meeting adjourned 11:50 am.

 

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
ASC 07-17-18 Agenda
Viewed 225 times since Fri, Jul 20, 2018
ASC 06-12-18 Agenda
Viewed 249 times since Mon, Jun 11, 2018
Adult Services Committee 2018-19: Assignments & Charges
Viewed 1731 times since Tue, Apr 24, 2018
ASC 2019-03-05 Agenda
Viewed 106 times since Wed, Apr 17, 2019
ASC 08-14-18 Agenda
Viewed 246 times since Mon, Aug 13, 2018
ASC 12-03-18 Agenda
Viewed 223 times since Fri, Nov 30, 2018
ASC 05-18-18 Minutes
Viewed 353 times since Fri, May 18, 2018
ASC 2019-02-05 Agenda
Viewed 100 times since Wed, Apr 17, 2019
ASC 2019-03-05 Minutes
Viewed 154 times since Wed, Apr 17, 2019
ASC 09-18-18 Agenda
Viewed 211 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2018