Home » Categories » Multiple Categories

DTF Minutes 3.22.19

DRAFT - BCCLS Delivery Task Force Meeting

Friday, March 22, 2019 - 10am

Maurice M. Pine Public Library, Fair Lawn

 

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 10:09am by Stephanie Bellucci, Chair.


Attendance:

Present - Stephanie Bellucci, Cliffside Park/Chair; Eric Louzauskas, BCCLS; Dave Hanson, BCCLS; Christine Zeni, BCCLS; Terrie McColl, New Milford; Sarah Lester, Maplewood; Kurt Hadeler, Mahwah; Gretchen Kaser, Ho-Ho-Kus; Adele Puccio, Fair Lawn; Gerry McMahon, Franklin Lakes; Ellen O’Keefe, Glen Rock; Judah Hamer, Rutherford

Absent - Peter Coyl, Montclair

 

  1. Introductions - Stephanie reviewed the 2019-20 charges; task force members will remain the same for the new committee year.

 

  1. Update from the BCCLS Office

    1. Warehouse Space - A warehouse was considered in Passaic but turned out to be a flood zone. Footprint has been reduced to contain costs. Vans may have to be stored outside; there is one warehouse currently under consideration that would allow vans to be inside at a somewhat higher cost than the smaller locations. Dave is working with Executive Board to narrow down and eventually negotiate contract terms. The actual lease will be handled by Executive Board in Executive Session, not DTF. Terrie asked about locations; Christine and Dave stated that proximity to highways is a priority.

    2. Hiring - So far 12 applicants have been interviewed by Christine for the full-time driver position. She is confident that she will be able to fill the five open positions with strong applicants. There was some confusion over the part-time ad, so that has been re-released on the BCCLS website (not Indeed). There are two part-time positions.

    3. Gas - Still waiting on response regarding gas tax and whether BCCLS is exempt as a nonprofit. County can’t sell us gas but can perform maintenance. Christine will determine whether county or Ford maintenance is better.

    4. Bins - Design is progressing, Christine is in regular contact with vendor.

    5. Van - Will have final date next week.

    6. Routes - 21 libraries currently will not allow early access to their buildings, so routes are not yet finalized.

    7. JerseyCat - Approximately 2,600 were done throughout BCCLS last year. These packages will most likely be delivered to the BCCLS Office and dispersed from there. There is no formal agreement yet with LLNJ for this; Dave to meet with Kathy Schalk-Greene on Monday.

    8. Cost-containment - One potential solution could be to switch to all part-time drivers, but this would have many drawbacks (employee buy-in, additional hires, etc.). Warehouse lease should be 5 years, Christine suggests negotiating first 2-3 years at a flat rent (3-5% annual increase in rent is standard). Over $100,000 saved on bins - this is a capital savings.

    9. A full delivery presentation/update will take place at June System Council.

  1. Future of DTF

  1. Much of immediate work will be done by Executive Board and BCCLS Office, but Dave would like to see task force continue for accountability and feedback.

  2. Will continue working with Policies & Procedures Committee for development and implementation of delivery-related processes.

  3. Kurt would like task force to work with Finance Committee later in 2019 regarding member costs, refunds, etc. This is also an opportunity for grant or sponsorship exploration. Eventually it may be worthwhile for BCCLS to explore partnering with a grant consultant.

IV. Next Steps

  1. Christine to finalize offers to drivers.

  2. 14-16 week lead time for vans, but Christine will receive update next week on firm delivery date. Vans can be stored elsewhere if they are delivered prior to having a warehouse.

  3. Test routes should start in May, depending on timing of vans and driver start dates. If vans are not ready by then, there is a potential for them to use rental vehicles.

  4. Collection of library keys and codes - BCCLS will have a safe in the warehouse. Eric working on a way for drivers to pull up codes securely on their phones.

  5. Dave plans to have meetings for circ staff to go over delivery processes. Task force members will attend as well.

  6. Need to develop policy for notifying BCCLS of closures, or drivers notifying libraries of issues. Christine will create a manual for drivers.


Adjournment: 11:34am

Next Meeting: Early May (date/time TBD)

Small group training meetings will be scheduled for late April/early May.

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
Spring 2018 Small Group Meeting Agenda - Delivery
Viewed 313 times since Wed, May 2, 2018
Delivery Value per Location
Viewed 437 times since Tue, May 1, 2018
Glossary of Key Terms
Viewed 311 times since Wed, May 2, 2018
Delivery Task Force 2019-20 Assignments & Charges
Viewed 204 times since Tue, Apr 2, 2019
DTF Agenda 3.22.2019
Viewed 119 times since Wed, Mar 20, 2019
BCCLS Delivery at a Glance
Viewed 429 times since Wed, May 2, 2018
Delivery Infographic
Viewed 487 times since Wed, May 2, 2018
Postage Cost per Library Used for Creating Infographics
Viewed 383 times since Tue, May 1, 2018
RCLS Site Visit 08.09.18
Viewed 320 times since Mon, Aug 13, 2018