| Home »
Categories » Training » Polaris » Polaris Training Manual » C: Linking
C12: Linking Periodicals
Article Number: 197 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM
In order to maintain consistency and accuracy, please follow this procedure when linking periodicals.
- Use the Bibliographic Records Find Tool to search for your library’s current periodical records (i.e. ALDL Current Periodicals 2012 A-Z).
- Enter your search terms in the For field.
- Hit ‘Enter’ on your keyboard or the Search button to execute your search.
- From the results, select the appropriate record to which you will link your periodical. For example, if linking the latest issue of Popular Photography, select the current periodical record which would contain titles beginning with the letter ‘P’.
- The Bibliographic Record workform opens.
- When you have confirmed that this is the record to which you wish to link your periodical, click on the Create Item Records icon to begin the linking process.
- The New Item Record Options workform opens.
- Enter or scan the barcode or barcodes in the Item barcode(s) field. If typing the barcode, be sure to hit ‘Enter’ after each barcode, so that they appear in the lower box.
- Move to the Distribution section and click on the (None) field in the Template column.
- From the template drop-down menu that appears, select the template you created for linking periodicals.
- After a template has been selected, you’ll see that multiple fields have been populated.
- If you wish to make any changes to the populated fields, you may do so by clicking on the value you wish to change and selecting it from the menu.
Make sure the owner is the library, not the branch level.
- When selecting a template, the Use template values instead of these (if available) in the Call number area is checked. You must leave this box checked if you wish to use data from the template.
- Because you are using a template, you may leave the Price, Circ status, Renewal Limit, Display in PAC, Non-circulating, Loanable outside system, and Holdable fields in their default state.
- You can insert additional rows to the Distribution list, if linking multiple copies.
- To do so, click on the Insert Row icon which will allow you to apply a template to the next copy being linked.
- You can also change the number of items to the appropriate number of copies.
- Click on the (None) field in the Template column to select a template for this copy.
- If you insert a new row, select an appropriate template for each copy you are linking.
- The process is complete when the numbers in the Item total and Barcode total fields match and you have the expected number of fields in the distribution list.
- Once you have completed creating the distribution list, click ‘OK.’
- Polaris will now generate a Bulk Created Item Records list from which you may access the individual copies to further review and/or modify. To do so, select the first item you wish to process.
- The Item Record workform will appear.
If linking a single periodical, the Bulk Created Item Records list would not appear and you would be brought directly to this workform.
- Review the various fields and make changes where appropriate.
- Next, move to the Call number section. Enter the name of the periodical in the Class field and the issue date or any unique issue identifier in the Cutter field.
- When you are satisfied with your changes, click the Save icon, or type CTRL+S on your keyboard, or select File, Save.
When you are ready to mark your items as Available, that is, when they are ready to be shelved and circulated, you must Check in each copy to change their Circulation status from In-Process to Available.
Please refer to section C 5: Checking in Newly Linked Items section of the manual for instruction to how to process newly linked items.
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
C 8: Creating an Item Record Set
Viewed 774 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C 6: Deleting an Item Record
Viewed 405 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C 3: Creating an Item Record
Viewed 764 times since Mon, Aug 18, 2014
C 5: Checking in Newly Linked Items
Viewed 332 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C13: Generating Spine and Pocket Labels
Viewed 791 times since Wed, Aug 20, 2014
C 4: Modifying an Item Record
Viewed 377 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C 9: Searching for an Item Record Set
Viewed 355 times since Tue, Aug 19, 2014
C10: Deleting an Item Record Set
Viewed 289 times since Wed, Aug 20, 2014
C14: Transferring An Item Record
Viewed 372 times since Fri, Oct 17, 2014
C 1: Creating an Item Template
Viewed 853 times since Mon, Aug 18, 2014