Home » Categories » Committees & Task Forces » Diverse & Underserved Populations (DUP) » 2019-20

2019.08.29 DUP Minutes

Diverse and Underserved Populations Committee Meeting
August 29, 2019
Cliffside Park Library

Present: Lisa Hoffman – co chair (BLOO), Omar Khan (RFPK), Sherri Kendrick (CLPK), Kristin Nelson (FAVW), Deborah Leary (CLTR), Katie Piano (PALP), Kirsten Fagerlund (BCCLS), Jose Romero (WORA)

Updates

No book drop off today (B&T box of paperbacks for the prison). Maybe next time! Watch out for an email from Sara regarding the September meeting. 

Preferred name category in LEAP: Mike is working on it. Lisa will keep us updated.

New American Handout/Survey

47 libraries have participated in the survey with 52 results (five libraries did it twice with some answering differently?)

Send a reminder email to all to take the survey. It should not go out this week (holiday weekend). Try to send out by or on 9/4 for the reminder and have the survey remain open until 9/10 or 9/11. Starting the week of 9/14 Sara has volunteered to look through all the responses and put together a summary.

The goal is to have the handout ready to go by the end of September or the beginning of October. 

Accessibility Event Update

Friday October 25th 9:30-12

BCCLS approved budget for the event

Location: Can we check with Paramus or Hasbrouck Heights? Omar will call and ask the director of Paramus and get back to us ASAP. If not Deborah (CLTR) said Closter is always an option.

1. Sensory Story time: Kristin (FAVW) might know someone and will get back to us

2. Flyer/ Tech Speaker Sherri (CLPK) knows someone who would be interested, Sherlock Washington, to talk about programs and software. The cost for these programs is unknown at the moment. Sherri will ask if Washington requires payment to come and speak.

3. Talking Book and Braille Speaker: Lisa (BLOO) might know someone at the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired. She will reach out and get back to us. 

We need to think about refreshments for the event.

Dave’s CASA Email 

Lisa informed the committee that youth services has already responded to the tutoring/homework help recourse sheet request and is taking care of putting together a list. Lisa will reach out an express concerns regarding space, policies, etc. Youth services also suggested Dave should reach out to the directors regarding a place to hold a presentation discussing the myths surrounding the foster system. Lisa will second that suggestion via email.

September Meeting

September 27th @ Closter 10AM

0 (0)
Article Rating (No Votes)
Rate this article
  • Icon PDFExport to PDF
  • Icon MS-WordExport to MS Word
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
2019.04.26 DUP Agenda
Viewed 77 times since Wed, Apr 17, 2019
2019.06.28 DUP Agenda
Viewed 88 times since Wed, Jun 26, 2019
2019.05.23 DUP MINUTES
Viewed 87 times since Thu, Jun 13, 2019
2019.07.19 DUP Minutes
Viewed 56 times since Sat, Jul 20, 2019
2019.07.19 DUP Agenda
Viewed 56 times since Wed, Jul 17, 2019
2019.08.29 DUP Agenda
Viewed 46 times since Thu, Aug 22, 2019
2019.03.21 DUP Minutes
Viewed 171 times since Mon, Apr 8, 2019
Diverse & Underserved Populations Committee 2019-20 Assignments & Charges
Viewed 357 times since Tue, Apr 2, 2019
2019.03.21 DUP Agenda
Viewed 125 times since Tue, Mar 12, 2019
2019.05.23 DUP Agenda
Viewed 92 times since Thu, May 9, 2019