| Home »
Categories » Collection Development » Weeding Tips » 2015
01-15: Social Customs & Etiquette
Article Number: 339 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Social Customs & Etiquette
In the United States, where anyone could be from anywhere, the expectations for codes of behavior, dress and etiquette in society vary based on a person's background and point of view. Moreover, rules of conduct evolve. For example, given recent laws around service animals, what should business owners do when customers walk into their stores with a pet? How much are people tipping now? E-mail and social media "do's" and "don'ts" change constantly. Sometimes the law tells us how to act, but sometimes we need to rely on our social graces, and, of course, on our public library's collections and guidance.
The below is cited from CREW: A Weeding Manual for Modern Libraries (Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Page 68 of 107;www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/pubs/crew/index.html):
"390 (Customs, Etiquette & Folklore)
390-394 (Costumes, Customs, Holidays) 10/3/MUSTIE
Books about celebrations of life's milestones, wedding planning, and holiday celebrations should be discarded as fashions and customs change. Discard books that lack clear color pictures. Holiday-specific books may only circulate once or twice a year. Discard books that are MUSTIE or that reflect gender, family, ethnic, or racial bias.
Discard books by celebrities after their popularity has waned.
395 (Etiquette) 5/3/MUSTIE
Basic titles can be kept until new editions are available. Discard books for specific situations, such as global etiquette, teen manners, and such, as the illustrations become dated or acceptable practices change."
The BCCLS Collection Development/Reference Committee suggests that you use the Polaris report entitled "Uncirculated items" as an aid in weeding your collections. Just go to the Staff section of the BCCLS site, and then go to Reports and sign in. Once in Reports, click on "Polaris", then "Circulation" and then "Uncirculated Items." Complete the parameters according to your needs and click "View Report." Information retrieved by the report, including call number, title, material type, bar total number of circs, creation date, and last circulation date are available to assist you in your weeding decisions.
Suggestions for Weeding
- Emily Post's Etiquette first published in 1922 and now is in its 18th edition c2011. Weed earlier editions: 0066209579 2004, 17th edition and older.
- Emily Post's the Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success by Peter Post. c2005 (0060760028)
- Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette is now in its 6th edition c2014. Weed earlier editions: 9780060745042 2006, 5th edition and older.
- Emily Post's Teen Etiquette by Elizabeth L. Post c1995 (0062733370)
- How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out by Alex J. Packer c1997 (1575420244) Replaced with a new ed. c2014, 9781575424545
- The Simple Guide to Customs and Etiquette in Japan by Helmut Morsbach c1992 (1860340008)
- The Simple Guide to Customs and Etiquette in India by Venika Kingsland. c1996 (1860340504)
- The Global Etiquette Guide to Asia: everything you need to know for business and travel success by Dean Allen Foster. c2000 (0471369497)
- The Global Etiquette Guide to Europe: everything you need to know for business and travel success by Dean Allen Foster. c2000 (0471318663)
- Global Business Etiquette: a guide to international communication and customs by Jeanette S. Martin c2006 (0275988155). Replaced by a newer edition c2012 (9780313397172)
- Protocol: the complete handbook of diplomatic, official and social usage by Mary Jane McCaffree. c1977 (0137315473)
- Etiquette: your ticket to good times by Helen Hoke, c1970 (0531006867)
- Coping With Social Situations: a handbook of correct behavior by Yona Zeldis McDonough, c1984 (0823906396)
- Japanese Business Etiquette: a practical guide to success with the Japanese by Diana Rowland, c1985 (0446382876)
- Cultureshock! : USA: a survival guide to customs and etiquette by Esther Wanning, c2005 (9789812611369)
Suggestions for Purchase
- I Stand Corrected: how teaching Western manners in China became its own unforgettable lesson by Eden Collinsworth, c2014 (9780385538695)
- Beyond Texting: the fine art of face-to-face communication for teenagers by Debra Fine, c2014 (9780988969605)
- China A to Z 2015: Everything You Need to Know to Understand Chinese Customs and Culture by Chai, May-Lee Chai and Winberg Chai, c2014 (9780142180846)
- Communication Smarts: how to express yourself best in conversations, texts, e-mails, and more by Sandy Donovan, c2012 (9780761370246)
- Brazil: the essential guide to customs & culture by Sandra Branco with Rob Williams, c2014 (Culture Smart series) (9781857336894)
Many other countries are covered in this Culture Smart series, some titles will to be published during 2015
- Emily Post's the Etiquette Advantage in Business: personal skills for professional success by Peter Post with Anna Post, c2014 (9780062270467)
- Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette by Anna Post & Lizzie Post, c2014 (9780062326102)
- Emily Post's Manners in a Digital World: living well online by Daniel Post Senning, c2013 (9781453254950)
- How Rude!: the teen guide to good manners, proper behavior, and not grossing people out by Alex J. Packer, c2014 (9781575424545)
- The Modern Rules of Business Etiquette by Donna Gerson, c2014 (9781627223973)
The Web subject guide's social customs in the BCCLS home page is a great place to start an Internet search.
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
03-15: Paranormal Phenomena
Viewed 680 times since Mon, Mar 9, 2015
Viewed 567 times since Thu, Jun 4, 2015
11-15: Applied Physics
Viewed 366 times since Wed, Nov 4, 2015
05-15: LGBQ Books for Teens
Viewed 545 times since Fri, May 1, 2015
08-15: Home Economics
Viewed 1073 times since Wed, Aug 5, 2015
Viewed 828 times since Thu, Mar 26, 2015
12-15: Nonfiction for Teens
Viewed 566 times since Mon, Nov 30, 2015
Viewed 871 times since Fri, Oct 2, 2015
09-15: Common Legal Issues
Viewed 546 times since Wed, Sep 2, 2015