GR&PP 2018-01-29 Minutes

D                    R                    A                  F                    T

 

GOVERNMENT RELATIONS & PUBLIC POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING

January 29, 2018

Ramsey Public Library 

 

Attending:  Riti Grover (Chair), Stephanie Bellucci (Cliffside Park), Jenifer May (Secaucus) and Darlene Swistock (BCCLS liaison).   

Not Present:  Anna Coats (Livingston)  

 

1.  WELCOME

Riti welcomed everyone and started the meeting at 11:00 am.

 

2.  APPROVAL OF MINUTES – PRIOR MEETING

It was moved by Stephanie and seconded by Jenifer to accept the minutes from the prior meeting on October 27.

 

3.  COMMITTEE EVENT IDEAS FOR 2018

  • Legislative Week – everyone agreed that it is important to send reminders and talking points to all. We can explore if there any transportation is being arranged by NJLA to Washington DC for NJ District Captains and their Advocacy Teams.
  • Program(s) - We talked about possible program formats (full day vs half day), potential speakers (elected officials, Library Directors, and outside speakers), what we should be doing concerning the Johnson Legislation, and ways to reduce program costs (an out-of-state speaker participating via Skype, paid and unpaid speakers, co-hosting with another BCCLS committee or consortium, subsidies, etc.).  

ACTION:  Riti will discuss possible dates, speakers and format with Kurt. 

 

4.  ADVOCACY TOOLKIT

Jenifer and Riti have accomplished a lot for their part of the toolkit.  We hope toolkit can be used to support the 2 bills (Johnson Legislature and Construction Bond Act) that were passed in 2017 and early 2018.  Since it is also a charge of the Trustee Development and Friends Committees, Riti will see what their plans are.  Perhaps they could prepare Fact Sheets/important steps on how to advocate at the local levels or how Library Directors, Trustees and Friends can advocate.   

ACTION:  Review and tweak current advocacy toolkit by February 9 with the goal to present it at the Executive Board meeting on February 28.

 

5.  DATE/PLACE FOR NEXT MEETING

February 14 – 10:00 am (BCCLS Office)

 

6.  ADJOURNMENT

It was moved by Riti and seconded by Jenifer to adjourn the meeting at 12:59 pm.

 

dms:  1/30/18

 

Posted - Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 6:25 PM. This article has been viewed 107 times.
Online URL: http://bccls.knowledgebase.co/article.php?id=1508

Powered by PHPKB (Knowledge Base Software)