Career books will always be somewhat in demand, although the latest information can typically be found online. Only career or job hunting materials published within the last three years should be kept. While some older editions of resume and cover letter titles may still effectively help patrons, it is important to consider the look and condition before opting to hang onto such books.
The CREW method recommends updating books on careers and job hunting frequently to ensure that requirements are current, although salary information will most likely always be outdated. Career guides with gender, racial or ethnic bias should be weeded. Update items with revised editions. The guidelines for careers are 3/3/MUSTIE.
Because the publication date is one of the most crucial things to assess when dealing with materials related to specific career industries, it is helpful to sort by date when doing searches in the catalog. Use the rule that anything more than three years old needs to go; this is the easiest way to immediately determine materials for de-accession. Other career how-to and professional advice books should be analyzed for content and circulation frequency.
Suggestions for Weeding
- The back door guide to short-term job adventures : internships, summer jobs, seasonal work, volunteer vacations, and transitions abroad by Michael Landes, 2005 (9781580086691)
- College majors and careers : a resource guide for effective life planning by Paul Phifer, 2008 (9780816076642)
- Get hired in a tough market : insider secrets for finding and landing the job you need now by Alan De Back, 2009 (9780071637053)
- Networking for dummies by Doug Lowe, 2003 (0764516779)
- New guide for occupational exploration : linking interests, learning, and careers by Michael Farr and Laurence Shatkin, 2006 (1593571798)
- One hundred fastest-growing careers : your compete guidebook to major jobs with the most growth and openings by Michael Farr, 2009 (9781593576011)
- Opportunities in publishing careers by Robert A. Carter and S. William Pattis, 2001 (0658004840)
- Top 100 careers without a four-year degree : your complete guidebook to major jobs in many fields by Michael Farr, 2008 (9781593576004)
- Top 100 computer and technical careers : your complete guidebook to major jobs in many fields at all training levels by Michael Farr, 2009 (9781593576028)
- Virtual Job Interview: practice & preparation for getting the job you deserve! produced (DVD) by Carrie Rafanello-Bazar & Dan Peters, 2004 (UPC 689076408721)
Suggestions for Purchase
- 100+ winning answers to the toughest interview questions by Casey Hawley, 2015 (9781438004846)
- Cracking the tech career : insider advice on landing a job at Google, Microsoft, Apple, or any top tech company by Gayle Laakmann McDowell, 2014 (9781118968086)
- Launch your encore : finding adventure and purpose later in life by Hans Finzel, 2015 (9780801016868)
- Love your job : the new rules for career happiness by Kerry Hannon, 2015 (9781118898062)
- Moving the needle: get clear, get free, and get going in your career, business, and life! by Joe Sweeney, 2014 (9781118944080)
- Powerful Phrases for Successful Interviews: over 400 ready-to-use words and phrases that will get you the job you want by Tony Beshara, 2014 (9780814433546)
- The Reputation Economy: how to optimize your digital footprint in a world where your reputation is your most valuable asset by Michael Fertik & David C. Thompson, 2015 (9780385347594)
- “So what are you going to do with that?”: finding careers outside academia, third edition by Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius, 2014 (9780226200408)
- Welcome to the Real World: finding your place, perfecting your work, and turning your job into your dream career by Lauren Berger, 2014 (9780062307309)