Special Populations 03-08-2017 Minutes
Special Populations Task Force Meeting
March 8, 2017- 10:00-12:00
Paul Shaver, Co-Chair - Mahwah
Victoria Hilditch, Co-Chair - Ridgewood
Lisa Hoffman - Bloomfield
Leslie Kruegel - Fair Lawn
Michelle Ferreira - Hackensack
Hongmei Liu - Livingston
Jill DeMarco - Montclair
Laura Rios - North Bergen
Elynn Park - Palisades Park
Martha Urbiel - Westwood
Yumi Choi - BCCLS
The meeting's main focus was to discuss the panel the committee will be hosting on June 14th.
Planned items before the panel:
- A video geared at helping library staff to work with non-English speakers. Laura Rios, Jill DeMarco and Hongmei Liu are to have a preliminary script written for the next meeting.
- Information on the collections of world language materials in BCCLS. Leslie Kruegel will work on a chart that explains which libraries have which languages in the book collection.
- Screencasts on immigration websites and ESL services. Lisa Hoffman will work on immigration and Laura Rios will handle ESL.
- The group would like to have a screencast on how to search the BCCLS catalog in languages other than English, but were informed that the PR Committee might take care of it, so the PR Committee will be contacted.
- Lisa Hoffman will communicate with the Youth Services Committee about doing a program on LGBTQ+ issues involving youth in libraries.
- All committee members are to add links to the group's spreadsheet so the can serve as a resource for BCCLS libraries.
The following topics were chosen for the panel:
- How libraries are handling these issues.
- Michelle Ferreira will contact potential speakers for ESL issues and an immigration lawyer to discuss that process.
- Laura Rios will contact a speaker about citizenship.
- Hongmei Liu and Martha Urbiel will contact the NJLA Diversity and Outreach Services Committee to find a librarian who can speak about how libraries are handling immigration and related issues.
Other panel issues:
- Various food assignments have been agreed upon.
- Leslie Kruegel will contact local press about covering the event.
Potential ideas for the future:
- Addressing how libraries handle homelessness, perhaps with a link to the upcoming move The Public.
- Making brochures and a website geared towards LGBTQ+
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 12th at 10:00 at Hasbrouck Heights Library.
Article ID: 1115
Created On: Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM
Last Updated On: Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM
Online URL: http://bccls.knowledgebase.co/article.php?id=1115