Bylaws 09-12-17 Minutes
BY-LAWS COMMITTEE MINUTES
September 12, 2017
Ramsey Public Library
Present: Gerry McMahon, John Trause, Marie Coughlin, Kurt Hadeler, Judah Hamer, Kathleen McGrail, Riti Grover
Absent: Len LoPinto
1. Welcome: Chair McMahon called the meeting to order at 10:15 a.m.
2. Approval of minutes: Motion made by Kurt Hadeler to approve the minutes of August 1, 2017.
3. Old Business:
- The recommendations made in the last meeting were submitted to the BCCLS Executive Board for approval on August 9th.
These included changes in Article I - Organization & Membership, Sections 2,3 and 4; Article II - Governance; and Article V - Committees. Following approval these will be introduced to the membership at the System Council on September 28, 2017.
- The recommendations that were submitted to the Executive Board on April 12, 2017 and later introduced at the System Council on June 15th will now be submitted at the System Council on September 28th for membership approval.
4. New Business:
- Article VII - Policies were reviewed for the revision of language and sequence of subsections under "authority and responsibility of the System Council." During the discussion, it was also suggested that the policy changes be submitted to the appropriate committee before being presented to the Executive Board or the System Council.
- The concept of renaming the BCCLS Computer Consortium was discussed in light of the brand name, relationship with our Freeholders, membership from various counties, budgetary issues, new billing formula and the right legal procedures. The committee agreed that Kurt Hadeler will consult with the BCCLS attorney for legal guidance. This discussion will continue in the following meetings.
- The committee revisited Article II- Governance, Section 1 to discuss the codification of two-third majority to pass any major addendum above the budget threshold. The members also reviewed the importance of maintaining the consistency of absolute majority in passing any policy or budget at the System Council.
- While reviewing Article I - Organization & Membership, Section 4, Qualification of Membership, the following changes were suggested: merging sections (a) & (b) and renumbering the subsections accordingly.
- Revisiting Article II - Governance. The committee members discussed merging Section 3 - (Vacancies) - under section 2 - (Executive Board) to create better flow of relevant information.
5. Next Meeting: Monday, November 6, 2017, Upper Saddle River Public Library @ 10 a.m.
6. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 12 p.m.
Article ID: 1369
Created On: Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 5:20 PM
Last Updated On: Fri, May 18, 2018 at 9:10 PM
Online URL: http://bccls.knowledgebase.co/article.php?id=1369