04.12.18 DTF Minutes


BCCLS Delivery Task Force Meeting

Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 10am

Glen Rock Public Library, 315 Rock Road, Glen Rock, NJ 07452

 

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 10:20am by Stephanie Bellucci, Chair.

 

Attendance:

Present - Stephanie Bellucci, Chair/Cliffside Park; Ellen O'Keefe, Glen Rock; Gretchen Kaser, Ho-Ho-Kus; Kurt Hadeler, BCCLS President/Mahwah; Gerry McMahon, Franklin Lakes; Peter Coyl, Montclair; Terrie McColl, New Milford; Eric Lozauskas, BCCLS; Judah Hamer, Rutherford; Cindy Czesak, BCCLS

Absent - Sarah Lester, Maplewood

 

  1. Approval of Minutes from April 10

Motion made by Gerry, seconded by Ellen. Approved unanimously.

 

II.  Small group meetings - logistics

  1. Stephanie has confirmed with Darlene at the BCCLS Office that six small group meetings will take place during the weeks of April 30 and May 7. Darlene reached out to potential hosts and has backup locations to contact if needed. So far, she has only been able to confirm one (Friday, 5/11 at RFLD from 1-4pm).

  2. There will be two Friday afternoon meetings (5/4 and 5/11). The goal is to distribute the four remaining meetings between the other four days of the week, at a variety of times (some morning and some afternoon) to accommodate the greatest number of people.

  3. Meetings will be capped at 15 directors, not including DTF members. 3 DTF members will attend each meeting. Stephanie will try to attend all of them as Chair. Directors will self-register and should only attend one. Peter suggested using Sign-Up Genius for registration, but Eric reminded the committee that BCCLS subscribes to Eventbrite. Meetings will run about two hours.

 

  III.      Small group meetings - content

  1. One director asked Stephanie whether it would be possible to have a representative from T-Force at each meeting. Unfortunately, this is not possible.

  2. Meetings will begin with an overview of what DTF is - charges, actions up until this point, etc. Ellen suggests sending directors a spreadsheet ahead of time that explains LibraryLinkNJ's funding structure, BCCLS' relationship with LLNJ, etc. Eric thinks this would be best illustrated in an infographic, and the task force agreed.

  3. Judah suggests breakout sessions to establish a baseline understanding of how delivery works, what we're up against, etc. The group agrees. If we register 15 directors per meeting, there would be three breakout groups of 5, plus one DTF member. Directors should be more comfortable asking questions this way.

  4. Terrie suggests having directors submit questions in advance. It was also agreed that DTF needs to address library staff expectations vs. patron expectations for delivery - patrons want an Amazon-like experience. Stephanie will send an email to directors ahead of time posing this question, and directors can answer via a Google Form.

  5. It is important that DTF clarifies that 2019 is still a complete unknown at this point, as T-Force's contract expires December 31. Delivery continues to grow and won't stop.

  6. Another issue to bring up is how net-lending vs. net-borrowing affects delivery. Net-borrowers are more adversely affected by the delivery woes than net-lenders are. This could be a selling point if member libraries possibly paying into delivery becomes a stumbling block - if net-borrowers do not pay for delivery, they will have to pay more in materials to satisfy their patrons' needs. Attendees should also be reminded that BCCLS bills used to have a dedicated line for delivery.

  7. Funding delivery will definitely be an issue, but DTF feels this is an issue better tackled by other committees - Kurt suggests resurrecting the Reciprocity Task Force.

 

III.Next steps

  1. Stephanie will query directors about their expectations and patrons' expectations. Answers will be due by next Friday, April 20. The responses will be used to open the small group meetings.

  2. DTF will work on an infographic. A Google Doc will be created to add content, and Kurt will ask his marketing person if she can create the actual graphic. Terrie will work on the funding content, and Eric/Mike will consolidate some BCCLS reports.

  3. Final agenda for meetings: discussion of DTF charges and responses on expectations, relationship with LLNJ and the state, DTF's research on delivery, small group breakout sessions, and where BCCLS can/should go from here.



Adjournment: 11:42am.



Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 24 - 10am in New Milford

 



Article ID: 1565
Created On: Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM
Last Updated On: Fri, May 18, 2018 at 9:30 PM

Online URL: http://bccls.knowledgebase.co/article.php?id=1565