Minutes of BERGEN COUNTY COOPERATIVE LIBRARY SYSTEM
Executive Board August 27, 2014
PRESIDING: Len LoPinto Paramus
PRESENT: Rita Browning Cresskill
Christine Hartigan East Rutherford
Tim Murphy Fair Lawn
Judy Heldman Harrington Park
Kurt Hadeler Mahwah
Martin Gilbert Tenafly
Marianne Willms Wallington
Robert White BCCLS
Pat Loughnane BCCLS
- Minutes of Previous Meeting: MOTION: There being no additions or corrections to the minutes, they will stand as written. Motion carried.
- Public Portion: None
- Treasurer's Report: Tim Murphy rendered the June & July P&L Reports.
Of the 2014 Budget of 3,115,948 $2,990,150 has been received
leaving a balance of -125,798 Total expenses 1,792,766
leaving a balance of -1,323,182 NJ Cash Management 1,289,861
Checking Account 88,902 Scholarship 22,515
Mr. LoPinto noted that the financial reports have been filed for audit.
- Correspondence: Mr. White’s official retirement letter with an effective date of June 30, 2015 submitted to BCCLS President Len LoPinto (copy attached).
- President's Report: Len LoPinto advised Board members that the Structure & Organization Task Force will present a short program at the September System Council meeting outlining how BCCLS-wide decisions are made concerning budget items, bylaws, and other policies and obligations of membership. He reported that Executive Director Search Committee will meet with BCCLS staff members on September 9th, that John Keister skyped with the staff on July 30th, and that the website designed for the Executive Director search by John Keister & Associates will go live in a couple of weeks. In response to a question from Mr. LoPinto, Robert White touched on the timeline for the legislation being proposed by Assemblyman Johnson which would allow individual libraries to raise their minimum funding level above the 1/3rd of a mill by local referendum.
- Executive Director's Report: Mr. White’s monthly report was distributed earlier. He mentioned the two training initiatives for Collection HQ and Polaris Refresher, reported on the contact from West Orange Public Library and remarked that he expects a formal request for membership this fall, and commented on his plans to get a larger turnout from libraries than usual for the celebration of BCCLS 35th Anniversary celebration at the Friends of the Library Breakfast on October 1st.
- Committee Reports:
Bylaws - Len LoPinto read off the attached report from Bylaws Committee Chair Eileen Karpoff and noted that the Rochelle Park discussion will take place under Old Business. He informed Board members that the committee plans to survey the membership on restructuring the Executive Board. Any changes to the Rotation or At Large slots won’t take effect until 2016.
Nominating - Chair Terrie McColl submitted the committee’s recommendation for election to the two At-Large seats on the 2015/2016 Executive Board: Tim Murphy, Fair Lawn; Dave Franz, Hillsdale; Len LoPinto, Paramus; Samantha McCoy, West Caldwell. Vote will take place at the September System Council meeting. All have agreed to run.
Policies & Procedures - Chair Jennifer Breuer submitted the attached recommendations to the Executive Board for approval. Following a brief discussion about the process for approving policy or procedure recommendations, the following action took place. MOTION: Chris Hartigan moved that the Executive Board accept the committee’s procedural recommendations on labeling and barcode placement. Kurt Hadeler seconded. Motion carried.
Public Relations - Robert White mentioned the positive feedback about the Scavenger Hunt and Len LoPinto mentioned Summer Reading activity.
Personnel - 2014 Salary Survey results will be distributed soon.
Technology - Kurt Hadeler reported that the launch of texting is on the committee’s agenda next month along with a discussion about addressing any concerns about how the committee investigates and evaluates various software products and vendors for cooperative purchasing.
World Language Task Force - Len LoPinto read off a proposal for the expansion of world language subscription collections for Russian, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese books and magazines with a minimum subscription of $1,500 and a maximum of $5,000. Proposal will be included in the budget packet distributed to the membership.
- Old Business:
(1) Rochelle Park Library - Bylaws Article I, Section 3. Qualifications of Membership
Len LoPinto reviewed the various steps taken by the Rochelle Park Acting Director/Consultant in 2013, the BCCLS Executive Board on June 25, 2014, and the BCCLS Bylaws Committee on August 13, 2014 with regard to the failure of the Rochelle Park Library to comply with the 1/3rd of a mill requirement of Bylaws Article I, Section 3. Qualifications for Membership. MOTION: Judy Heldman moved that Rochelle Park be found in non-compliance with the Bylaws. At the conclusion of a lengthy discussion about the most advantageous timeline for bringing Rochelle Park into compliance with the Bylaws or setting a hearing date if the library fails to comply, the following action took place: MOTION: Judy Heldman moved to table the previous motion in order that fact-finding into Rochelle Park’s non-compliance continue to be investigated and in an effort to assist the library in bringing it into compliance with the BCCLS Bylaws. Marianne Willms seconded. Motion carried. Mr. LoPinto will report to the membership on the status of Rochelle Park Library at the September System Council meeting.
(2) Knowledge Base Policy - Following brief discussion at the June Executive Board meeting about clarifying and codifying what documents are posted to the Knowledge Base, Len LoPinto and Judy Heldman recommended that each BCCLS Committee & Task Force submit Agendas & Minutes for inclusion into the BCCLS Knowledge Base site. MOTION: Judy Heldman moved that each BCCLS Committee & Task Force submit Agendas & Minutes for inclusion into the BCCLS Knowledge Base site. Motion carried.
- New Business:
(1) 2015 Proposed Budget & Rate Card - Mr. White thanked the Finance Committee and noted that the suggested changes have been implemented. While Board members studied the proposed Budget and reviewed the Budget Narrative & Rate Card, Mr. White reviewed the Income and Expenses lines and made note of the following:
- Telecomm charge is reduced from $4000 to $3500
- The database & digital collections amount to be raised increases to $562,475 + $175,000 carryover from the NY Times Historical funds. The base rate is reduced from $3000 to $1500. The amount to be raised from population by percentage and 1/3rd mill are each increased from $139K to $175K.
- Collection HQ is assessed at $500 per library
- The LEAP Web Client is assessed at $500 per library in 2015
- There will be no service contracts on network printers beginning in 2015
- Kirkus will now be handled at the local level
- Recommended a 2.5% salary increase for employees. Executive Director compensation remains at 2014 level
MOTION: Tim Murphy moved that the proposed 2015 Budget and Rate Card be referred to the membership for approval. Marianne Willms seconded. Motion carried.
- Membership Hearing: None
- Date of Next Meeting: 9/18 System Council @ Mahwah; 10/16 System Council @ Closter, 10/16 Executive Board @ Closter
- Adjournment: 11:05 a.m.
Executive Director's Official Retirement Letter
Policies & Procedures Recommendation
Article ID: 200
Created On: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Last Updated On: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Online URL: https://bccls.knowledgebase.co/article.php?id=200